Well, a strange thing appears sometimes after a simple update (but I don’t know exactly when).
Some icons disappear and then it looks impossible to start them!
After a long investigation, I found that the problem was in the configuration file of the simple interface.
This file, called simpleui.rc includes all informations of the simple interface (easy isn’t it?).
The problem is that ASUS changed the way to run some applications (“Webcam
” -> “ucview
” app or “Sound Recorder
” -> “krecord
Before this change, the simpleui.rc called a shell launcher script (/usr/bin/launch-ucview
But this launcher doesn’t exist any more and the configuration tries to use it again.
So, the solution is to change the way to run applications in the simpleui.rc file.
– Open a console window Ctrl
– First of all, we’ll create a symbolic link to the configuration file., run this lines:
– sudo mkdir /home/user/.AsusLauncher
– sudo ln -s /var/lib/AsusLauncher/simpleui.rc /home/user/.AsusLauncher/simpleui.rc
– Now, we’ll modified the configuration file, run this lines:
– sudo nano /home/user/.AsusLauncher/simpleui.rc
– in Nano, push Ctrl
(search) and enter “launch-
– replace “/usr/bin/launch-ucview
” by “/usr/bin/ucview
– do the same with “/usr/bin/launch-krecord
” -> “/usr/bin/record
– save the change with Ctrl
– and quit Nano: Ctrl
– To finish, restart Windows Manager with Ctrl
Here you can find the original simpleui.rc file from 901: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/list:901_simpleui.rc?s=simpleui
(Updated: 2009.02.06, thanks to Hugo)